Pathologists play a vital role in the diagnosis and management of disease by examining a patient’s tissue and cells (obtained through a biopsy or surgery). We view the sample under a microscope and generate a pathology report for the patient’s clinicians and treatment team.
Jefferson Pathology is a group of five pathologists providing anatomic and clinical pathology services to doctors and their patients on the East bank of Jefferson Parish. We represent decades of experience in all aspects of the practice of Pathology in both the hospital and independent laboratory setting. Our pathologists have provided medical directorship of East Jefferson General Hospital and, in the past, to numerous other laboratories throughout southern Louisiana and Mississippi. Several of our pathologists have fellowship training and/or subspecialty certification and we have decades of experience in all fields of surgical pathology, cytopathology, and clinical pathology. Our broad experience and depth of training allows us to offer the physicians and patients of East Jefferson General Hospital the highest quality of pathology support. This helps East Jefferson General Hospital maintain the reputation for outstanding medical care that our patients have come to expect.
Although competent pathology services are provided by many national reference laboratories, our local hospital‑based practice offers superior continuum of care, turnaround time, and immediate access to the pathologist.
More specifically, our full-service pathology group is pleased to offer:
- Immediate availability for consultation by physicians or other healthcare staff regarding all laboratory testing
- Expert gross and microscopic examination of all surgical and cytology specimens (including pap smears) with diagnosis, reporting, and (when appropriate) recommendations for further testing and/or treatment
- Consultations and Second Opinions on pathology medical reports or referred slides
- Adjunctive services including routine and special stains, immunohistochemistry, tumor markers, and molecular testing (including next-generation sequencing)
- Performance of bone marrow biopsies and fine needle aspiration biopsies with interpretation and reporting
- Participation with the interventional radiologists in a team approach in performance of ultrasound-guided and CT-directed visceral biopsies
- Immediate on call availability 24 hours daily, 365 days/year
- Moderate and attend weekly Tumor conferences and bimonthly Breast and GI conferences
Our passion for the practice of Pathology makes it a pleasure to provide preeminent and cost-effective Pathology and Laboratory Medicine services of the highest quality to our doctors, patients, and community.
The laboratory is accredited by the College of American Pathologists.